Monday, July 30, 2007

The Black Cat Cafe

The Black Cat Cafe was a vegetarian co-op located in Seattle's University District at 4110 Roosevelt Way. During the mid-1990s it began to host all-ages punk rock shows pretty regularly. It wasn't a very big space and it seemed like sometimes twice as many people were hanging out outside than could fit in the actual room where the bands played. Katrina Hellbusch (AKA Katrina Outcast) booked a bunch of the shows. Since I lived in the U-District just a few blocks away, I loved going to shows here. Lots of touring crusty punk bands played here, as well as local bands. I remembering seeing the Catheters for the first time here and a couple of good shows by Vancouver BC's Submission Hold.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

black cat was a rad venue, but it always seemed there were more kids strung out and hanging outside the venue than caring about what was happening inside. the old mountain of rusty bikes out back was tetanus city

Ameila said...

I must say that "The Black Cat Vegan Collective" changed my life. Experiencing the punk culture through this lens opened my mind to so much. I would be a completely different person if I hadn't been turned on to the cafe in '96 after graduating from H.S. in WI. I'm still in contact with friends I met back then. -Amelia