Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The November Group







When it comes to political hardcore, you'd have been hard-pressed in the early 2000's to find a band more politically active and wearing it on their sleeves in Seattle than The November Group. The band played heavy and harsh punk with lyrics about sexism, capitalism, and struggling to remain true to yourself... no guyliner, dyed black hair, love songs or other weak shit that passes for hardcore today.

I first heard the November Group through the song they had on the 2002 Excursion Records compilation 7" "The Power of Ten," along with the bands Himsa, Left With Nothing, Staygold, Himsa, Contingent, Screwjack, Spitting Teeth, Positively Negative, The Entropy Project, and To See You Broken. Over the following years they put out an EP and two albums and played quite a few live shows. These photos are of the band playing a crazy live show on the anniversary of N30 in 2001 in the old Tablet warehouse.

Discography: (updated with help from Matt Leonard!)
  • 1999, 3 song demo (self-released)
  • 2000, 3 song EP (recorded with Steve Carter, DIY hand-done packaging)
  • 2002, song on "Power of Ten" 7" compilation (Excursion)
  • 2002, song on "All That Was Built Here- Ten Years At The Old Fire House" compilation CD
  • 2003, "Hang Us All As Traitors" CD (the 2000 EP + new songs)
  • 2004, "From Below Upwards" CD


To hear a few songs from The November Group, check out their old MySpace page.

5 comments:

Matt Leonard said...

Wow Dan - thanks for the post! I actually was only in the band until I moved to California in 2002. Here's discography for the band, as best as I can recall:

1999-3-song demo (totally DIY)

2000-3 song EP (recorded with Steve Carter, DIY hand-done packaging)

2002 - All That Was Built Here- Ten Years At The Old Fire House compilation

2003 - Hang us All as Traitors CD. Basically the old EP plus some new tunes.

2004 - From Below Upwards CD

In terms of other projects:

Matt - I moved to San Diego in 2002, then San Francisco 2005. Played in hardcore bands An Arrow In Flight, and then End on End for a few years. Work at Rainforest Action Network now.

Blair - moved to NY for grad school, then was in Czech Republic for a few years. He had a project in the CR that played a few shows, but I don't think recorded anything.

Christian - still in Seattle. Was doing The Search Party for a bit, finishing school, and works occasionally at El Corazon.

Marek - Was a fisherman, then bodybuilder, and now doing carpentry. Not really sure.

Brent - Last I heard he was in Portland, not sure either.

Cliff - In Boston. Not sure what he's up to.

Dan 10Things said...

Thanks for the updated info Matt!

adliale said...

I saw this band at the Menomonee Falls Legion Post in Milwaukee WI. It was my first ever hardcore show and I will never forget it. They were the first cd I ever bought at a hardcore show and it just lead to a long slew of purchases that still go on to this day. I would just want to thank them for letting me see the passionate side behind the music. Unfortunately, today, the scene is cluttered with people who are there to fight, or drink, or get fucked up, and aren't really there for the music or the meaning. To this day they are one of my top 5 favorite bands and I'm very upset that I haven't been able to get a hold of any of their other recordings, so if anyone could help me out with that that would be awesome. My myspace is myspace.com/adliale so hit me up if you have any ideas. I just want to say it one more time because I really can't say it enough, this band was and will always be amazing and very close to my heart.

adliale said...

I saw this band at the Menomonee Falls Legion Post in Milwaukee WI. It was my first ever hardcore show and I will never forget it. They were the first cd I ever bought at a hardcore show and it just lead to a long slew of purchases that still go on to this day. I would just want to thank them for letting me see the passionate side behind the music. Unfortunately, today, the scene is cluttered with people who are there to fight, or drink, or get fucked up, and aren't really there for the music or the meaning. To this day they are one of my top 5 favorite bands and I'm very upset that I haven't been able to get a hold of any of their other recordings, so if anyone could help me out with that that would be awesome. My myspace is myspace.com/adliale so hit me up if you have any ideas. I just want to say it one more time because I really can't say it enough, this band was and will always be amazing and very close to my heart.

Christian said...

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/16lzqzk.jpg[/IMG]