Thursday, December 27, 2007

Does Chop Suey need behavior monitors?

Hanna Levin is reporting over on The Seattle Weekly's Reverb blog that the Crocodile Cafe's old general manager Kevin Watson has been hired as head of security at Chop Suey on Capitol Hill. She thinks it's great. Levin, like many others, think Watson was quite level-headed and ran things well as head of security at the Croc. I can see that, he always seems mellow and nice when you arrive to a show there and is friendly to chat with. But if your the kind of uber-fan that likes to be up front at shows, the Croc really wasn't the ideal place to see bands. More than a few people in town have complaints about how aggressive the Crocodile's "Behavior Monitors" were towards fans. It's one of the reasons I avoided the venue. The security at the Croc were super pushy at punk and rock shows, often making it a pain in the ass to try to stand or dance up front. If you complained about the security to Kevin, you could get kicked out, which actually happened to me twice. Here's the story about the first time...

I was at a show at the Crocodile about 5 years ago when a "Behavior Monitor" pushed a fan so hard from the front of the stage that the dude literally flew into the crowd, where his head collided with a woman standing in front of me. It instantly knocked her out. I caught her limp body as she collapsed towards the ground, then tried to get security to help me carry her out of the show room. They refused. I told them they knocked her out and she really needed help. They laughed at me and said she was just drunk. I dragged her out and set her in a chair, where she finally woke up again. I complained to Kevin, which prompted the security guards I'd talked to to run over and yell at me for "whining like a bitch when the girl was just drunk." She was sober with a big knot on her forehead and obviously in pain. Kevin took their side without talking the girl and all three physically threw me out of the club. One threw a cigarette at me while I flew out the door and laughed. It was a classy move on their part and a fine example of how to treat a good Samaritan trying to help a woman they knocked unconscious. From that night on, I never understood why people said Kevin was such a nice guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, that definitely sounds shitty, and I don't doubt the veracity of your story. I've just watched him dial down the volume on so many potentially dangerous situations that I trust him. The guy's gotten myself (and a lot of other female club goers) safely to the car or in a cab more times than I can count.